• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A small lie

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TxEx

What is the name of your state?
The Lone Star State of Texas

Howdy Partners

Such a wonderful BB, Thanks to all who help ! :)

My Granny passed and I'm the Exec
(Grandfather passed away 1960s)

At the hearing for :"ADMITTING WILL TO PROBATE AND APPOINTING "user" as Exec

The - "Proof of Death and other facts" - my lawyer created stated incorrectly, that the Decedent had never been divorced.

Granny was divorced, twice! I informed my lawyer of this while we waited to go before the judge at the court house.
(She remarried my grandfather both times)

He coaches me to lie, when this question comes up when we go in front of the judge. :eek:

How much hot water can I/lawyer get into from this small lie? :confused:

Last edited:

Dandy Don

You need to be asking this lawyer why he is asking you to lie--what purpose does it serve? If it doesn't affect the outcome of the number of beneficiaries and who is eligible to inherit, then he may not get into much trouble, but you need to tell him that you will be testifying truthfully at all times, and you even need to mention this to the judge whenever you get the chance.

It looks like he is playing a word game--he is trying to pretend that the divorces did not exist since the remarriage occurred, but he is being deceptive.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

TxEx

Thank You Dandy Don

You are correct that this lie will not affect the final outcome.

It has raised a red flag for me. If the lawyer is willing to lie to the judge then why would he hesitate to lie to me.

For example: I received a bill from him which has a charge for "Review and Prepared Inventory and Order Approving Inventory" on 6/27. After checking with the probate court on the 7/11. I discover the inventory still has not been filed with the court.

So I called and got hold of his assistant. She first claims that the lawyer still has to review the file. When I pointed out that I've already been charged for the review and the prepared/Order. Her story changed to "O he just needs to sign the papers." When I asked why this is taking so long. She says they have had some problems lately at the office.

I also noted a charge for "replenishment of original retainer for $500"

You said the lawyer mite get into a little trouble. You failed to mention what trouble/delay I mite encounter if I tell the judge about this.

The wife says that they are a "good O boys" club and I should keep my mouth shut.

Thanks again and keep up the good works
;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">