• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

son's debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kdrmv3

What is the name of your state? California

My 24 yr old son left some debt and we've heard that next of kin is responsible for paying them. He has no will and no assets to speak of. How do we handle creditors?

seniorjudge

kdrmv3 said:

My 24 yr old son left some debt and we've heard that next of kin is responsible for paying them. He has no will and no assets to speak of. How do we handle creditors?
Don't talk to the creditors and do not give them any of YOUR personal information.

If you did not agree to be responsible for these debts, then you are not responsible for the debts.

Creditors will hound you nonetheless so do NOT communicate with them in any way!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

kdrmv3 said:

My 24 yr old son left some debt and

we've heard that next of kin is responsible for paying them.
MY RESPONSE: That is absolutely, unequivocally, incorrect. In California, the only person who would continue to be responsible would be the spouse, not the "kin."

He has no will and no assets to speak of. How do we handle creditors?
MY RESPONSE: In the absense of a spouse, then all you need to do is send the creditors copies of the Certificate of Death. Then, it's all over for the creditors.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">