• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Statute of Limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

butterfly77

What is the name of your state? UTAH
I am having serious issues with my husbands uncle. Back in 2002 his grandfather passed away leaving $50,000 to my husband and $50,000 to his sister. During the process of the funeral and passing out of the Will we were informed that the policies his Grandfather had were null and void and there fore they would only be receiving $4,700 a piece. We were told that if we questioned the Will (it supposidly stated it in the Will) that our inheritance would be taken and split between the aunts and uncles. We did not question anything until we, his sister and I, were talking and started peicing together peices of the puzzle that just did not make sense. Like the fact that we never received a copy of the WIll. Or the fact that the rest of the aunts and uncles was only supposed to receive double that amount (because my husband and his sister were spliting their fathers inheritance), but his uncle happened to find enough money to purchase a new large garage for his house and also purchase a new SKY JACKER truck to put in it. For $10,000 I JUST DO NOT THINK SO. :mad: Now we are almost five years into it and we want to sue him. We have sent him certified letters requesting copies of the Will, with no response and even made phone calls. How do we go about getting this and how much longer do we have to get our money that belongs to us? This man needs to be taught a lesson and I spoke with the District Attorney in the City his grandfather lived in and he is willing to file charges against the uncle if we can find a copy of the Will. I have tried every court in Utah with no avail, I need help, but no funds to get the help!

PLEASE HELP!
you can email me @ [email protected]
Thanks!

What is the name of your state? UTAH
I am having serious issues with my husbands uncle. Back in 2002 his grandfather passed away leaving $50,000 to my husband and $50,000 to his sister. During the process of the funeral and passing out of the Will we were informed that the policies his Grandfather had were null and void and there fore they would only be receiving $4,700 a piece. We were told that if we questioned the Will (it supposidly stated it in the Will) that our inheritance would be taken and split between the aunts and uncles. We did not question anything until we, his sister and I, were talking and started peicing together peices of the puzzle that just did not make sense. Like the fact that we never received a copy of the WIll. Or the fact that the rest of the aunts and uncles was only supposed to receive double that amount (because my husband and his sister were spliting their fathers inheritance), but his uncle happened to find enough money to purchase a new large garage for his house and also purchase a new SKY JACKER truck to put in it. For $10,000 I JUST DO NOT THINK SO. :mad: Now we are almost five years into it and we want to sue him. We have sent him certified letters requesting copies of the Will, with no response and even made phone calls. How do we go about getting this and how much longer do we have to get our money that belongs to us? This man needs to be taught a lesson and I spoke with the District Attorney in the City his grandfather lived in and he is willing to file charges against the uncle if we can find a copy of the Will. I have tried every court in Utah with no avail, I need help, but no funds to get the help!

PLEASE HELP!
you can email me @ [email protected]
Thanks!

You're going to get the canned answer, but it's very much on point here. First, has the will be probated? If so, then you can get a copy of the will from the clerk of the probate court's office. Since the Executor is ultimately answerable to the probate judge for the handling of the estate it will tend to keep people in line. Second, if probate has not been started, then hire an attorney and file the probate yourself and ask to be appointed administrator.

Work with said attorney in any case.

seniorjudge

If you have waited almost five years to do anything, then the statute of limitations on contesting a will has probably long since disappeared into the dust.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">