• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Staying out of Probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Otto_2000

New York

I have three sisters and we have to sell our deceased parents house. Three of us want to accept a good offer we recently received, but one of the sisters, who lives in the house, refuses to accept the offer. She has no good explanation as to why she is refusing, just that she feels the house hasn't been on the market long enough (3 months). We have explained to her that we don't want to keep paying the taxes and other expenses on a house we get no use out of and is just a burden to us. Her attitude is one of indifference toward our concerns and she as much told me, "Too, bad. You have to pay your share." We feel we are paying her rent. She refuses to pay us rent on our shares and we think she is just trying to remain in the house, rent free, for as long as she can.

What are our options, if any, besides going to probate? Is there any way to sell this house if she remains stubborn?

BelizeBreeze

Otto_2000 said:
New York

I have three sisters and we have to sell our deceased parents house. Three of us want to accept a good offer we recently received, but one of the sisters, who lives in the house, refuses to accept the offer. She has no good explanation as to why she is refusing, just that she feels the house hasn't been on the market long enough (3 months). We have explained to her that we don't want to keep paying the taxes and other expenses on a house we get no use out of and is just a burden to us. Her attitude is one of indifference toward our concerns and she as much told me, "Too, bad. You have to pay your share." We feel we are paying her rent. She refuses to pay us rent on our shares and we think she is just trying to remain in the house, rent free, for as long as she can.

What are our options, if any, besides going to probate? Is there any way to sell this house if she remains stubborn?
How do you think you can seel the home if it is not in your names? Open probate then file Partition against the lone sister.

Otto_2000

Very funny.....I don't have the deed in front of me, but, it's your standard, run-of-the-mill deed, the kind you buy at Staples. Our lawyer has it.

I don't know what the lawyer is planning to do or how he is planning to have this property change hands, but, he said it will happen at closing.

BelizeBreeze

Otto_2000 said:
Very funny.....I don't have the deed in front of me, but, it's your standard, run-of-the-mill deed, the kind you buy at Staples. Our lawyer has it.

I don't know what the lawyer is planning to do or how he is planning to have this property change hands, but, he said it will happen at closing.
Then I suggest you ask this attorney SPECIFICALLY how he intends doing this when the home must be probated?

moburkes

BelizeBreeze said:
Then I suggest you ask this attorney SPECIFICALLY how he intends doing this when the home must be probated?
OP: I tried to warn you. While I was being funny, I was trying to show you that you didn't answer the question. Without the answer to the question, BB won't respond nicely. Sorry. Your loss. Ask your attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">