• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step father died 1 month before mother help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjcsac

We are in Kentucky. I have mounds of questions...where to start. My step father, who was separated from my mother, died one month before she did. My first question is are we responsible for his mounds of debt? My second question is her estate responsible for his debt. Also if someone takes his estate to probate, does that person become responsible for his debt?

lwpat

Only the estates are responsible, not the personal representative. Your mother's estate could be responsible for some of his bills, it depends.

rmet4nzkx

This is going to be complex and you will likely need an attorney, does your step dad have any heirs? Was there a will or legal separation or property settlement? Has anyone opened probate for either estate? Had you mother retained an attorney yet? How long were they separated? The commonwealth of Kentucky is an equtible distribution state insofar as divorce property settlements How old were they, how long married?
http://www.divorcesupport.com/divorce/Kentucky-Property-Division-Factors-544.html
So a lot will depend on the facts.

cjcsac

They had been separted for aobut 6 months. They had neither seen an attorney. He has 2 daughters he has not seen in over 10 years, with very little contact thier entire lives. They had been married 25 years in May, and were both in their 60's. His estate is bankrupt and she has a small estate. There is no will for either of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">