• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step mother trying to take everything

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EvilStepMother

Hello, this is a question I'm asking for my cousins because they don't know what to do. about 6 months ago their father died of a house fire and their afraid their step mother is going to take everything. He had no will at the time of his passing, they just received a probate letter from their step mother that she told them to sign and get noterised. The problem lies that he just had me look over them and she is the only one listed as administrator and they weren't even noticed that the could be marked down as limited admin. Just today we found out that she was moving some pretty valuable stuff out of the house without having any court hearing on what the kids will get and what part she gets, can she lawfully do something like that?

Thanks for your time and patience we don't really understand how to really go about all this.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hello, this is a question I'm asking for my cousins because they don't know what to do. about 6 months ago their father died of a house fire and their afraid their step mother is going to take everything. He had no will at the time of his passing, they just received a probate letter from their step mother that she told them to sign and get noterised. The problem lies that he just had me look over them and she is the only one listed as administrator and they weren't even noticed that the could be marked down as limited admin. Just today we found out that she was moving some pretty valuable stuff out of the house without having any court hearing on what the kids will get and what part she gets, can she lawfully do something like that?

Thanks for your time and patience we don't really understand how to really go about all this.
What makes you think those things don't belong to her?

Dandy Don

She had no obligation to list anyone else as limited admin.--it's okay for her to be the sole administrator of the estate.

You need to take the probate letter to a probate attorney and get his/her advice about whether this is something you should be signing.

If you have no idea of an inventory of the value of the "valuable stuff" she is moving out of the house, you will have no way to prove what was taken.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">