• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepchildren

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dave L

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

In my previous post I said my mother passed away without a will. It was drafted up but never signed when she received it 2 days prior to her death. She had two of the five children put on the property deed, with the remaining three to get what was left over in her bank account.

There has since been a change of heart and two of the natural children want to split the estate 5 ways which is according to state law.

My question is that since this has gone to this extreme of not honoring her intentional wishes should the 2 surviving Stepchildren be notified? My father never had a will, when he died my mother just aquired his property and gave a few things out. But now that this has happened are they entitled as well? The lawyer we hired didn't raise issue when I mentioned them to him. Though he did notice the obituary there names as children not stepchildren.

pojo2

Dave L said:
She had two of the five children put on the property deed,
How are they listed on the deed? Unless these two want to share the property/proceeds from a sell of property they may not have to at all.

So that is the first question that needs to be answered. I

If the Lawyer can not answer a simple question about the stepchildren get another Atty. Seems he is concerned about them being listed in the OBIT but not what their rights might be in this matter.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">