• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stepmother gets All?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tgager

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

Dad got a lot of properties in the divorce from my mom. He remarried in 1996 and passed this past summer. My brother and I are now finding out his current wife will not grant his wish to give a small portion of what he earned during our childhood, ie, his IRA for $80K. How can we find out who the beneficiary is of this? There are currently 3 properties that were previously put in survivorship marital property, 2 of which dad purchased prior to his second marriage. What rights do my brother have as biological kids? Dad's wife has two kids from her previous marriage whom I imagine will inherit all of this. There was no will when dad died. This has to be happening everywhere with my generation.

anteater

...ie, his IRA for $80K. How can we find out who the beneficiary is of this?
If you know the IRA custodian, contact the custodian.

There are currently 3 properties that were previously put in survivorship marital property...
That is not completely clear. Survivorship with stepmother? If so, the properties are now hers.

What rights do my brother have as biological kids?
You can read WI's intestate succession law at:

http://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/852.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">