• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is stepmothers son entitled to my dads estate ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

motorexgrl

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?TN
My father passed away in 1996 with 3 surviving sons .There was no will,and our stepmother has lived in the house (which is only deeded in his name and the tax and bills are still in his name) for the last nine years.She never hired a lawyer and opened an estate. The stepmother abandoned the house 9 months ago to live with relatives because of her illness.She (the stepmother) just passed away. Her son (No blood relative of our father) wants a portion of the proceeds from the sale of the house and property. Does he have any rights at all? The house has also been severly damaged, who is responsible for the repair?
Thanks in advance for your help

Dandy Don

This is something that only a local probate attorney can answer, or post your query to lawguru.com. The children will be heirs equally, but whether that includes stepchildren, I'm not exactly sure.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">