• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Still wondering about statute of limitations on back rent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

isis297

What is the name of your state? MD

I'm wondering if there is a statute of limitations for claiming back rent when there was never a rent agreement because of the estate was never probated almost 30 years ago. We were told one minute they could get it for the entire number of years while the next we were told they couldn't get it at all because there was never an agreement in place and they had never come forward and the next minute still that the most they could get it for would be 3 years because there is a statute of limitations! Which is correct?

Thanks as always!

seniorjudge

What is the name of your state? MD

I'm wondering if there is a statute of limitations for claiming back rent when there was never a rent agreement because of the estate was never probated almost 30 years ago. We were told one minute they could get it for the entire number of years while the next we were told they couldn't get it at all because there was never an agreement in place and they had never come forward and the next minute still that the most they could get it for would be 3 years because there is a statute of limitations! Which is correct?

Thanks as always!
Care to give us a hint what you are talking about?

Facts? Details?

isis297

I'm sorry...the details were in my last post. This is the messed up case of the estranged cousins coming forward after 28 years to collect on their portion of great grandma's house since there wasn't a will.

We are not trying to keep the house. We were but the situation just needs to be done and selling it is part of what it will take.

The mixed up advice we are still getting is:

1) They are asking for their portion plus 28 years of back rent. We've been told they can ask for it, that they cannot ask for it especially since there was never a rental agreement, or that they can for 3 years of back rent.

2) Can my mom as exectutor of the estate put an easement on the house so that it and the property are at least protected from being destroyed? It's an old enough house but just not sure because the title is in great grandma's name. One guy at the historical trust said he thought she had certain powers over the house as exectutor but wasn't sure if that was one of them.

3) The last piece where we are getting mixed info at this moment is that because there were children who made it to adulthood, the "cousins" get 1/3...not 1/2. The different stories we are getting are in regards to my great uncle's 1/3. He died a few years after great grandma a bachelor. He was never married and never had any children. He also died without a will. On one hand we are told his portion gets split in half between the other two adult children even though the one died before the great grandma and by another that the "cousins" don't get any of his because of the time table of everyone's deaths. :-|

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">