• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Stumped

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ZiggityDiggity

What is the name of your state? Florida

First let me say this is a great site. I have learned so much. I started off in the Family Law Forum with questions about how to find and divorce someone I had not seen since 1971. You are really great group of people. I got a lot of help and you showed me how to hunt for my husband, myself.

Well, I found him, after going through tons of online public records, some phone calls and even a few snail mail letters. I found out he was dead. He died in Escambia County, Florida. Normally I would feel bad finding out about someone’s death, but this man beat me and made my life a living…well you know the rest. But I found out only by finding a court caveats case giving a date of death. My husband stayed in legal trouble. Following him from jail record to jail record wasn’t hard at all. I found out his father died in central Florida in 1999, and other than some legal loose ends, there was no new information. His father left him a nice healthy sum of money. So I guess he figured now that his rich daddy was gone, he better stay out of trouble because daddy was no longer there to bail him out.

So my search went cold for a short while, until I found his address on his father’s will. I searched County public records and found the caveats case from the hospital where he died. So I checked to see if there was any probate records, other than the caveats case there was none. I e-mailed the law firm that handled the caveats case. He e-mailed me back and told me to call him and he’d give me what information he had. He said my husband was remarried to the woman that was linked to him by the address on the court record. He also said that they owned that piece of property together, and he could find no mention of a divorce from me. He told me it would be worth my time and trouble to pursue this. I don’t want to sound greedy, after 35 years I was still very scared of this man. He beat me so much the hospital’s emergency room knew me by name, I had a miscarriage from his beatings. So when I found out I was pregnant the second time I left and stayed away from him. I raised my daughter by myself. He knew about our daughter and never offered to help.

I have a question, or maybe I should say, questions. How would I find out if there is any type of probate, I checked the clerk of courts records and found nothing. The property records of the address he lived shows only his “wife’s” name, even though the man I called at the law firm said it was public record, and it was in both names. I’m finding no marriage license or divorce records. I do have his death certificate, and there’s an empty space under marital status, and wife’s name. But all the other information that is on the death certificate, could have only come from hospital records. Other than the $36.00 caveats case he has no outstanding bills. I really doubt the woman that shared his address paid it, she also has a lien against her from the same hospital for over $1000.00. I really doubt if I write the hospital if they would tell me who paid his last bills. So I was wondering how I could find out? I can’t afford a lawyer or a investigator. I’m on a very limited budge, I have very high medical costs myself from my health and if I could find some extra money, believe me I could really use it about now. Also I’m located to far away from Escambia county to search in person.

Thanks for taking your time to read this, and I could really use some advice from someone that knows the ropes.

Dandy Don

Where (what city and county) and when (what month and year) did you get officially divorced from this man?

Did the law firm that helped you on this tell you whether the property was a home (with an exact street address) or just land or both?

Send me a private message or e-mail that mentions the decedent's name and date of death and his occupation (name of employer or what type of work he did) and I can research the details for you.

Don't get your hopes up too much--if the property is in her name alone, you may have no legal rights to any of it. But something might happen that might turn out in your favor: you can never really tell with probate situations.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

rmet4nzkx

Dandy Don said:
Where (what city and county) and when (what month and year) did you get officially divorced from this man?

Did the law firm that helped you on this tell you whether the property was a home (with an exact street address) or just land or both?

Send me a private message or e-mail that mentions the decedent's name and date of death and his occupation (name of employer or what type of work he did) and I can research the details for you.

Don't get your hopes up too much--if the property is in her name alone, you may have no legal rights to any of it. But something might happen that might turn out in your favor: you can never really tell with probate situations.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])
Don, there is no divorce, apparently the man was a bigamist. FL is an equitable distribution state, apparenlty no probate was opened up with the "wife" continuing on. OP and her child and her child if there is a divorce would stand to inheirit, sounds like she needs to file and open probate as the wife.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">