• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Swearing in as an out-of-state executor-- California/Georgia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JCBinLA

California: Where do I appear in California to be sworn in as an executor of an estate using the Georgia oath?

My mother lived in Georgia and passed away, naming my sister and I as co-executors in her will. Everything is in a living trust, so probate should be no problem. (The efficacy of the trust was tested upon our father's death.) I live in California and have been told by multiple sources that I can be verified as an executor by appearing before a California official and taking the Georgia oath. But when I call California probate and wills courts, I am sent on a merry chase through ignorance and misinformation. Does anyone know who in California administers such out-of-state oaths and what I need to show up with in the way of documentation? The original will is in Georgia; I have a copy. If the will is submitted to Georgia officials for verification, scanning, and storage, can access to that online replace any requirement for the original document at the time of the oath? And do I need an original death certificate?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. My head hurts with all this and our situation is rather clear-cut and simple. I now feel enormous sympathy for anyone in a more complex tangle of laws! Also great respect for lawyers. Or rage and disdain. Those emotions are all blurring together! ;-)

JCBinLA

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">