• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Taking care of my son's estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fredincanada

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My son died in June of this year without a will. I am a Canadian citizen and am not able to take care of his affairs. My ex-wife who lives in california refuses to do anything about it. there is a computer company that my son owned and it is still running without employees. He had no realestate and the value of the estate is probably less than $20,000. I am just concerned about the computer company so it can be closed down and it's customers notified.

How can I get some help in this matter?

Dandy Don

Get a probate attorney who practices in the same city where the company is located or in the same city where your son died. He can handle everything for you. Contact 5 or 6 different ones until you find one who can quote you the specific law that mentions exactly what the executor rate is for California so you will not be charged exorbitantly.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

fredincanada

Thanks Don,
I had hoped that I could contact some government department who could do some investigation. I think it might be difficult to deal with a lawyer long distance.

Fred

Dandy Don

There is no government department to do this. You have nothing to be worried about. Get the attorney's e-mail address and you can contact him and correspond with him that way. There will not be CONSTANT telephone contact on this, just occasional infrequent calls. The estate is a very simple matter that can be cleared up very easily. Do a GOOGLE search using the following phrases in the search box: "CityYourSonDiedIn, California" and "probate attorney" and you will see many results come up--just start picking and choosing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">