• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas Executor?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Stephen1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX
In Texas, what does the executor have to show others, such as the landlord, that (s)he is the designated executor for an estate? My experience has all been in WA where the executor receives Letters Testamentary from the court.

OK, why am I asking this: My wife, son, and I have an LLC with 2 duplexes in TX. That son manages them. Wife and I are in WA state with other properties and generally more LL experience than our son so I provide advice. We just learned that one of our tenants died. I am under the impression that the adult son of the tenant has a key to the unit so we won't have to make decisions about who to allow in. BUT, in the event that I am wrong that the son has a key from Mom (now deceased), my inclination is to allow only the executor access. This lead to the above question. What would that executor have to show in TX that they are the executor? I tried to research this on line but found only guidance on what the executor is to do and not how one becomes one in TX.

anteater

Yes, TX issues Letters Testamentary (or Letters of Administration, if no will).

But, depending upon the size and the type of assets, there are several ways in TX to deal with the deceased's property.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">