• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Texas - Informal Probate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jadams92

What is the name of your state? Texas

Please help....

My husbands grandmother passed away November 6th. There is a will. My mother-in-law is the sole beneficiary and the executer of the will. Grandma has no debts at all (she lived with her daughter) and her only asset is the land they lived on valued at 17,000.
My mother-in-law is also ill and on a limited income. The only thing we really need to do is have the land transferred to my mother-in-law. What is the best way to handle this? Do we have to go through probate in order for the land deed to be turned over to her daughter or can we just show a copy of the will and death certificate? Any help will be greatly appreciated on where to start and what procedures to follow.
Thank you

What is the name of your state? Texas

Please help....

My husbands grandmother passed away November 6th. There is a will. My mother-in-law is the sole beneficiary and the executer of the will. Grandma has no debts at all (she lived with her daughter) and her only asset is the land they lived on valued at 17,000.
My mother-in-law is also ill and on a limited income. The only thing we really need to do is have the land transferred to my mother-in-law. What is the best way to handle this? Do we have to go through probate in order for the land deed to be turned over to her daughter or can we just show a copy of the will and death certificate? Any help will be greatly appreciated on where to start and what procedures to follow.
Thank you
Short answer: PROBATE

Long answer: just because you have the will doesn't mean anything. It requires the judges written order (sometimes called Letters Testamentiary) to transact any business of the estate as executor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">