• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Is There An Easier Way Out"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Terence

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My last post was kind of emotional and way too hindsighted. I was caregiver to both parents plus assisted in my brother's care. My mom died in 2003, brother in 2004 and now father in 2005. I was living in Michigan where I plan to return, when I had to leave to take care of my father in November of 2004.
I took care of my father, worked part time at a dept store and on weekends, went to school to take refresher courses to fine tune my overall business qualifications and when my father did pass on, sold the family house, cleared out all the personal belongings and now have to wait as the estate is in probate. I was told by my only sibling brother who lives here in Philadelphia, the executor of the estate, that I could not live with him nor store my belongings at his house. The new owners of the house took possession of the family house last week. Another chapter out of my life closed. An old neighbor offered me a room at his house until I am able to move back to Michigan. The neighbor a good guy, tried to commit suicide last month and I just found this out today. I sure as heck dont need anymore stress.

I have been told that some estates could be settled quickly and some may drag on for years. I don't have that much time. I don't have the money to return back to Michigan nor get a place to stay and restart my life again. I tried to reason with my brother that I needed and deserved to go back home to Michigan and as executor, could he talk to the attorney to arrange some sort of disbursement. There will be four persons splitting the estate after bills and taxes have been paid. I know that whatever outstanding debts are out there for my late father, is well under three thousand dollars. Its a ballpark figure but there will be about 80 thousand dollars sitting in the estate after all bills are paid.

None of the other heirs, gave up their jobs, family or lifestyles to assist me in taking care of both parents. Somebody had to do it and somehow it was me. I want to go home to Michigan NOW and not later. Does anyone know if there are any circumstances that would allow me to get my share, estimated so I can go home? My brother was going to talk to the attorney he hired to handle the probate but again, my brother didnt have the time to do it. If there are no circumstances for hardships, can I bill the estate for my loss of compensation? can I bill the estate for caregiving? if so, I would gladly relinguish my share of the estate as I calculated a fair bill for the amount of actual hours I worked taking care of myfather at an acceptable rate ( in todays market value of healthcare) and it would put me in the ballpark of what I think will be my share of the estate will actually be.

Is there a way out for me?

Sincerely Yours,

Terence at

[email protected]
[email protected]

lwpat

My suggestion is that you talk to hte attorney handling the estate directly. As a beneficiary there should not be a problem but possibly to avoid any confusion make an appointment for both of you. Go anyway if your brother does not show up. Distibution will be in accordance with state law which the attorney can explain.

You can submit a claim against the estate if there was an agreement that you would be paid. In any case you are entitled to compensation for cleaning out the house and he is entitled to compensation for being the executor.

The one who does the most is usually the one who ends up with the least.

S

seniorjudge

lwpat said:
My suggestion is that you talk to hte attorney handling the estate directly. As a beneficiary there should not be a problem but possibly to avoid any confusion make an appointment for both of you. Go anyway if your brother does not show up. Distibution will be in accordance with state law which the attorney can explain.

You can submit a claim against the estate if there was an agreement that you would be paid. In any case you are entitled to compensation for cleaning out the house and he is entitled to compensation for being the executor.

The one who does the most is usually the one who ends up with the least.
Amen and amen....

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">