• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a statue of limitations on fighting a "gift"?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

new_here

What is the name of your state? NC

I received a gift (monetary and real property) over 10 years ago from a family friend. That friend is now recently deceased. Some relatives may be starting to fight over the estate. Should I be concerned about what I received as a gift that long ago? I don't know if they would try to say there was "coercion" of "undo influence", because there most definitly was not! ;-)

But I want to know what I might be at risk from. Has enought time passed that even if they wanted to come after me that its too long ago?

thanks!

new_hereWhat is the name of your state?

new_here

Well some of the monetary gift was stock that I think they may have expected (and potentially was) to be willed to them. I am just hoping that just the fact so much time has past that they would not legally have a case against me to even bring.

Some Random Guy

So long as the stock and real property were transferred into your name 10 years ago, I fail to see how they would have any standing to sue you. The only person who could sue is deceased.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Is this because of an actual limitation of time that they could fight it?
It is because there is nothing to fight. If you were given this gift 4 weeks before the giftor died there would still be nothing to fight. (Assuming, of course, that the paperwork has been done to transfer it to your name and assuming the giftor was competent)
Assuming that this property is in your name, it is NOT part of the estate.

new_here

Ha, ha. No. Everything was documented. :) I just hear about how nasty these battles can be and I have never been involved in one. I just don't want to be involved, but also want to know what to expect if I get dragged in.

thanks for all for all the help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">