• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is there a time frame to settle an estate??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikedavis

My brother and i are co-executors of my mothers estate in New York State.

My brother wants to liquidate the estate by selling the real-estate at current market value... i don't think its a good time to sell. My brother says that we have a legal and tax obligation to sell everything.. Is this true? Does an estate have to be settled in a specific time period..What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

xylene

Multiple pieces of property... so this is not a small estate.

What does you and your brothers lawyer say? Hint hint, y'all should have one.

mikedavis

Two properties, value is approx 1M.

Currently we don't have separate lawyers, and i don't want to ask the current lawyer as this will telegraph my position.

That's why i'm asking in this forum. But i will retain lawyer when it is required.

tranquility

"Telegraph your position?"

You will not force anything unless there is a breach of fiduciary duties. If you sit on known rights, you may jeopardize having any say in how the court determines if there is a breach. In any litigation, there will be discovery, briefs and argument. All "positions" will be telegraphed long before there is a decision.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">