• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

TIN needed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cibolosylvia

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? TX
I lost my father on Jan 6, 2005 and my mother on Jan 26, 2005. At the time I had filed for my mother the life insurance for my dad's death. By the time all the paperwork was done, my mother had passed away. Now I have filed the paperwork on my mother's life insurance. The insurance is telling me I have to have an estate account (which I do) for my mother and father, but I also need a TIN number. What is the need for this? How do I fill out this form? I pulled a SS-4 form from the irs site and am totally confused. The estate is worth less than $100,000. Is this really necessary? :confused:

Dandy Don

Talk to a local tax accountant or CPA about this. It's called a Tax Identification Number--do a GOOGLE search on this phrase or look it up on the IRS website (www.irs.gov) to see if there is an explanation/clarification.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

S

seniorjudge

cibolosylvia said:
undefinedWhat is the name of your state? TX
I lost my father on Jan 6, 2005 and my mother on Jan 26, 2005. At the time I had filed for my mother the life insurance for my dad's death. By the time all the paperwork was done, my mother had passed away. Now I have filed the paperwork on my mother's life insurance. The insurance is telling me I have to have an estate account (which I do) for my mother and father, but I also need a TIN number. What is the need for this? How do I fill out this form? I pulled a SS-4 form from the irs site and am totally confused. The estate is worth less than $100,000. Is this really necessary? :confused:
Ask the carrier why they need a TIN. Ask them if the Social Security numbers for mom and dad won't do the trick.

Dandy Don

TIN is form W7 on the www.irs.gov website--please look at it to see if it applies to your situation. Was your mother a legal citizen or an alien? You may need to ask for more specific details from whoever it was that told you you needed a TIN as to exactly why it is needed.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

anteater

TIN, ITIN, EIN...... They all tend to run together causing confusion. I've never used it, but the IRS has a toll free number to call to get an EIN. Since there is supposed to be a live person at the other end, they can probably help you through the SS-4.

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=97860,00.html

Since the insurance proceeds are going to end up being payable to the estate(s), the company will probably insist on an EIN for the estate. Usually a good idea anyway to keep the tax affairs of the decedent when they were living separate from the tax affairs of the estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">