• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer of name on deed to house

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jazz1

What is the name of your state? TN

My mother is living in the house that once was occupied by my grandmother (deceased approx. 5 years ago). Before her death approx. 10 years ago my mother and father occupied the house as well. Two years ago my father passed away. He did not get the deed changed over to his name before his death. The deed still has my grandmother's name on it. My father (my grandmother's only child) did not leave a will. Since his death my mother has changed the utility bills in her name and is continuing to pay the mortgage, insurance and taxes.

We need to remove my grandmother's name and add my mother's name to the deed. Would we have to obtain an attorney or could this process work for us:

1. Get birth certificates for my grandmother and father
2. Get death certificates for my grandmother and father
3. Get programs from funneral services for my grandmother and father
4. Get a copy of the marriage license for my mother and father
5. Get nortarized statements from my siblings stating they have no interest in the house.
6. Valide i.d. for my mother (driver's license, social security card, etc.)

If these documents were taken to the clerk's office, would the transfer of ownership be valid in this manner? If not, please advise the most efficient route to take. Your opinion is desperately needed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">