• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unclaimed funds 10 years after estate settled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lorinori

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

My mother died in 1996. Her estate was administered and closed in 1999. 3 Weeks ago we received information that there were some unclaimed funds in my mothers name from an electric cooperative (they are actually capital credits that have accumulated over the years) that she did business with 25 years ago. The executor of her estate was my father and he passed away in August 2009. His estate is not yet in probate. What do my sister and I have to do in order to get this money? The electric company said they would make the check out to my mothers estate and put it in care of me but, my bank said they would not cash it and that I should contact an attorney. I can not afford to hire an attorney as I am out of work and neither can my sister. The amount of the unclaimed funds is $1060. What can I do?

Dandy Don

Contact the county probate court to find out if there are simplified procedures for smaller estates (most counties have such). It may be as simple a matter as you or someone else filing again for an additional probate. Soon after filing, the letters testamentary will be issued to the newer executor and that is the document that the unclaimed property office will need. This is something you can do yourself.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">