• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uncles Remains Moved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DCastro104

What is the name of your state? Florida

My uncle died of AIDS in 1993. All his final arraingments were made by my sister and my mother(his sister). My grandmother was not listed on the paperwork, and she technically had no rights to his remains (or thats what we figured). She and an aunt of mine recently had his body moved to a different masoleum by forging my mother and sister signatures (even notarizing them illegally). His children (who were minors when he died) are against the move. They were able to do this because my aunt works at the cementary/funeral home, and has a personal relationship with the owner.

When we found out about the move, my sister wrote the cementary a letter stating that we wanted the body moved back to its location. His children are distraught by the whole situation and so is my mother. My uncle had no will or anything on paper but knew the exact location where he would be laid to rest, and to move him was against what he wanted and what his children want for him.

A lawyer who represents the cementary wrote to my sister today claiming that my grandmother has every right to his remains because she is his mother and that basically supercedes his sister. Does she have any rights to his remains? And if so do his 3 children who are all adults now not have ANY say so?

Also, the forgery was all done by my aunt, but my grandmother conspired in the process? Can we have charges brought up against both of them? Forgery is a federal crime, correct?

Thanks for any insight.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">