• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Uncooperative co-administrator of estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Scullyson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ. My father passed away in 1998 and my sister and I were granted administrators of his estate. We were new to the procedures but manage to get the state bonded in both our names and valued the estate at a 5 figure amount. aprox 30 thou. Recently a house with his name on it he lived with his girfriend (who recently passed) popped up. Now Iam told that we need to start over with the bond process (the old bond was cancelled). This is not a issue with me although my sister is bitter and is not making herself available to redo the bond process. My fathers girlfriends daughter has 50% share of the house and my sister and I have a 25% share in the house. What ami to do to get the house bonded when my sister wont cooperate.:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Last edited:

Dandy Don

Ask her to resign her co-executorship so that the process can go forward without complication and you may also want to discuss this with the bonding company. How does the girlfriend have a 50% share in the home--is that what is stated in the will?

Scullyson

Update on probate papers (she signed but**************..)

I just recently manage to convince my sister to sign and have notorize the probate forms and send them back to me. I then took them to the county court house and had them stamped. Now I plan to have (our father) the estate Bonded in the next couple of weeks. The only thing here is now My sister and The other party seem to be reluctant to want to keep up the taxes and other financial obligation for the house. I informed them that someone has to pay these bills (Supposed to be equally) so i will notallow a home that my father and his girlfriend sweated to achieve go for nothing. They appear to resent for some reason my picking up the tab but they are not cooperating. They want to sell when the home is dropping in value every day where as iam willing to invest by continuing to keep up with the bills. By the way iam the only individual who has my own primary home and maybe the onlyone that is employed? By the way she ask me to return the probate papers to her. i do not intend on doing this.

Scullyson

Probate Stated......

The employee at the county probate stated to me that my fathers girlfriends daughter would more than likely get 50% because if my father and his girlfriend had split everything among themselves then tit would be 50-50, so my sister and I would get his fifty. No there was no will from my father. His girlfriend had a will but it did not specify the house. The house has my fathers name listed first then her name.

Dandy Don

You would be strongly advised to hire the services of a probate attorney for consultation/advice on whether you are proceeding properly with your actions as executor. You probably are, but the attorney can act as a mediator between you and your sister. Best if one of you declined the position so that only one person could be in charge, but that probably won't happen. You have an obligation as co-executor to provide her with all copies of relevant documentation in regards to the estate. And your attorney can inform her of what the heirs/beneficiaries obligations are tax-wise.

anteater

They want to sell when the home is dropping in value every day where as iam willing to invest by continuing to keep up with the bills.
You may as well begin thinking of how to buy out their interests. Or face a suit for partition.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">