• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

US Probate California

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NOVO

Hi,
I am a british citizen and my mothers brother in the US has just died, at this time his probate is being handled by the public administrator and we ar obtaining the necessary documents for proof of my mother relation status to the deceased. There is no will and my mother is his only relative.
My question is how do we stand as far as handling the probate ourselves and what is te procedure ???

Nick Leete

JETX

My question is how do we stand as far as handling the probate ourselves and what is te procedure ???
First, you will need a US 'personal representative' to handle the estate.
Second, the 'procedure' is not complex... but far too much for an online forum. Your best option is to review the information at:
Probate Court How to Probate a Decedent's Estate

Though minimal, there are some legal processes that must be followed and it might be best for the family to consider a local (California) probate attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">