• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

The value of the Estate is small

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

terbearten

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Wisconsin, My mother has recently passed away and I am listed as her heir. The value of the estate (Car $1300 and $2000 money and $550 from the sale of her personal possesions) Since her estate is only $4000 and the funeral was $6300, do I still have to go to court and open a probate case. I have been told if the estate is under 25K that I do not have to.

BlondiePB

terbearten said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Wisconsin, My mother has recently passed away and I am listed as her heir. The value of the estate (Car $1300 and $2000 money and $550 from the sale of her personal possesions) Since her estate is only $4000 and the funeral was $6300, do I still have to go to court and open a probate case. I have been told if the estate is under 25K that I do not have to.
If you require the legal authorization to access the bank account and change the title to her car, then you will have to open a probate case to obtain Letters of Testamentary/Administration to do so. Most states do have small and/or family adminstration of estates.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">