+ Reply to Thread
    sferrera is offline Junior Member

Is a vehicle an asset or personal property in Florida?

What is the name of your state? New York and Florida

My children have been left with the daunting task of settling their father's estate. He passed away in Florida in September. He owes the IRS approximately $6,000. We have several paychecks totally about $7,000 and his car. We have no money to hire an attorney and do not know how to begin to file probate. He also owes about $4,800 in back rent. Can the children sell his car as personal property or does the IRS have the right to seize the profits or can my children use the money? They owe family members for funeral and burial expenses, etc. Is there any way we can get help to file probate? Thank you.
    BlondiePB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sferrera
    What is the name of your state? New York and Florida

My children have been left with the daunting task of settling their father's estate. He passed away in Florida in September. He owes the IRS approximately $6,000. We have several paychecks totally about $7,000 and his car. We have no money to hire an attorney and do not know how to begin to file probate. He also owes about $4,800 in back rent. Can the children sell his car as personal property or does the IRS have the right to seize the profits or can my children use the money? They owe family members for funeral and burial expenses, etc. Is there any way we can get help to file probate? Thank you.
    Sorry, but you must hire an attorney in FL to acquire the Letters of Testamentary/Administration to take care of your father's affairs, etc. Last I knew, in FL, cars were exempt from probate. You can review FL's probate statutes under Estates and Trusts at [url]www.flsenate.gov/statutes[/url].