• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wary of Executor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

birddog

What is the name of your state? Georgia

My Grandfather recently died. He told me on numerous occasions, including very recently, that I was named in his will, but he did not get into specifics, and I didn't ask. My uncle (one of my Grandfather's sons), whom I do not fully trust with money matters because of past experience, has been named executor of the estate. My uncle has made the statement that he "would decide who got what and when". I want to assume the best from him, but I also want to keep my eyes open in order to protect my own interests. My uncle is not being very forthcoming about the process, and I do not know what to expect, or how to be vigilent because I've never been involved with a will before. Also, I do not know who my Grandfather's lawyer was, and I have reason to beleive that my uncle has gotten his own lawyer involved in the process for some reason. I have not yet seen a copy of the will.

What course of action do you reccomend?

BlondiePB

birddog said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

My Grandfather recently died. He told me on numerous occasions, including very recently, that I was named in his will, but he did not get into specifics, and I didn't ask. My uncle (one of my Grandfather's sons), whom I do not fully trust with money matters because of past experience, has been named executor of the estate. My uncle has made the statement that he "would decide who got what and when". I want to assume the best from him, but I also want to keep my eyes open in order to protect my own interests. My uncle is not being very forthcoming about the process, and I do not know what to expect, or how to be vigilent because I've never been involved with a will before. Also, I do not know who my Grandfather's lawyer was, and I have reason to beleive that my uncle has gotten his own lawyer involved in the process for some reason. I have not yet seen a copy of the will.

What course of action do you reccomend?
Executors are not under any obligation to hire the attorney that drafted the will of the deceased. You can get a copy of the entire probate file at the courthouse where probate is taking place for a nominal fee.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">