• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are we able to see a copy of the will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NRG6

What is the name of your state? TX

My Dad passed away over 3 months ago in another state (Iowa). My older brother is executor of the will. My dad was a widower and when he remarried 20 years ago, he and stepmom agreed to keep all of their finances separate. Stepmom has already told us that she has bought Dad's share of their house and paid it to his estate.

There is also a family corporation involved. Older brother and Dad had voting stock, younger brother and I had non-voting stock. Dad had said when this was set up that older brother would keep control of the corporation when he died, and that my younger brother and I would receive a cash settlement.

My executor brother has been very closed-mouth about the estate. I just want to know what's up. I've never seen a copy of the will. Do I have a right to request a copy of it? Thanks!

If I am named an heir, is the executor required to show me a copy of the will?

Last edited:

JETX

NRG6 said:
Do I have a right to request a copy of it?
You have the same rights as all of us. The probate file (assuming one has been opened) is public record. Contact the probate court in the county where he died and/or owned property and ask for a copy of the file.

Dandy Don

If you know the county where the death occurred, do a GOOGLE search for the name of that county and there is probably a database online where you could search for that information, and you could also visit www.searchsystems.net if you are willing to pay a $5.00 fee to do the search.

You must allow your brother time to manage the estate affairs--he will be getting in touch with you at the appropriate time, and if possible you need to try to attend at least one or more of the probate court hearings to keep abreast of what is going on with this estate.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

JETX

Dandy Don said:
If you know the county where the death occurred, do a GOOGLE search for the name of that county and there is probably a database online where you could search for that information
Not surprising... wrong again.
Only a very, VERY small percentage of the county's have online access to their records.

and you could also visit www.searchsystems.net if you are willing to pay a $5.00 fee to do the search.
And, wrong AGAIN!!
SearchSystems doesn't offer fee based searches, though they do provide a link to sites that do. However, in this case, Texas does NOT have any for probate. The 'probate fee' link on SearchSystems only takes you to the Texas Secretary of States online fee search page.... and NO probate information.
http://www.sos.state.tx.us/corp/sosda/index.shtml

So, the net 'value' of Dandy Dunce's post.... is zero.

Dandy Don

JETX, get your facts correct before you call me wrong--in this case YOU are the one who is wrong.

Without even knowing what county is involved here, how can you definitively state that they don't have an online records link? This gentleman is looking for a quick way to get the information he needs, and if he will post the county that the death occurred in, I can help him find whether there is an online link.

And you really do need to quit responding by deliberately misstating or misinterpreting the language that I use--I NEVER SAID that searchsystems.com offers fee based searches--THOSE WERE YOUR WORDS! If you were even familiar with how the searchsystems website works, you would see that any website who uses/connects to any of the county databases they offer online are charged a $4.95 fee for access to the information.

So the only value of your post was to show how much of an evil, frustrated witch you truly are.

NRG6

I'm sorry...I don't want to be the cause of any disagreements.

I appreciate your time to respond. After I posed the initial question, I went back and read many posts and found the answer about checking with the courthouse. It was nice of you to explain it to me, JETX, despite the fact I was asking such a newbie question that had been asked several times before.
Thanks again.

Dandy Don, for what it's worth, the county is Story County in Iowa. Thank you also for your offer to help.

JETX

Dandy Don said:
JETX, get your facts correct before you call me wrong--in this case YOU are the one who is wrong.

Without even knowing what county is involved here, how can you definitively state that they don't have an online records link?
That is my point exactly!! YOU are the one who said "there is probably a database online where you could search for that information"!!
My point is exactly as you now claim.... there is no way that anyone (less likely, you) can say that there is "PROBABLY" a database online. Further, it is much, MUCH more likely that the writers county has no information at all online..... also contrary to your post.

This gentleman is looking for a quick way to get the information he needs, and if he will post the county that the death occurred in, I can help him find whether there is an online link.
Correct. And if that had been what you said... or asked for, you would have had one less error.

And you really do need to quit responding by deliberately misstating or misinterpreting the language that I use--I NEVER SAID that searchsystems.com offers fee based searches--THOSE WERE YOUR WORDS!
I find your 'complaint' interesting, since it just further proves my point.... as your claim is NOT what I said.
You offered a 'free public site search site' for a question that was implied as in Texas. As I said, the ONLY probate search for Texas was a fee based site!! And even that site link isn't correct.
So, not only was your 'advice' of SearchSystems wrong, the information WOULD have been fee-based.... and even that was not correct. WOW!! Talking about batting zero for zero!!

If you were even familiar with how the searchsystems website works, you would see that any website who uses/connects to any of the county databases they offer online are charged a $4.95 fee for access to the information.
HUH?? What the hell are you talking about???
The 'SearchSystems' site is a "directory of free public record databases on the Internet" (their words). Further, with the exception of those LOCAL sites that charge for access (amount depends on the site), the links they provide are free (or noted as fee).

So the only value of your post was to show how much of an evil, frustrated witch you truly are.
Nahhhh. My post just continues to reveal how far your head is up your ass.

JETX

NRG6 said:
for what it's worth, the county is Story County in Iowa. Thank you also for your offer to help.
The Story County IA site is at:
http://www.storycounty.com/

And as I said, they don't appear to have an online presence for court records. You might try contacting the County Recorder:
http://www.storycounty.com/SCWeb2004.nsf/ae6c084b61e8e88386256df7007105da/b4a4bfb1073ee89486256e270054d7fd!OpenDocument

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">