• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do? Big mess!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lpgp

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Texas .

In 1996 my mom died without a will. Her mother (my grandmother) had deeded her 30 acres but retained her life estate in that property. My grandmother died 2 or 3 years later. My dad is still living. According to the lawyers my brother and I inherited the 30 acres when grandma died because it was mom's "separate" property but dad now maintains a life estate in it. My brother and I had deeds drawn up splitting the the property 15 and 15 acres. My brother died without a will last year. He was indigent, and the last year he was sick his son wrote horrible letters to everyone telling them he wanted nothing to do with his dad and he wasn't paying for the funeral if he died. Well, he didn't even show up for the funeral and I had to pay for everything. The taxes are years delinquent and I would love to save the property and keep it in the family. Is there anyway I can sue for funeral expenses to try and take the property so I can pass it on to my children? I have written my nephew and offered to buy the property for expenses already paid plus the taxes but to no response. No one in the family has seen him in over 3 years. Is there anything I can do?

BelizeBreeze

Sure there is, contact the taxing authority where the property is located and see when / if it will go up for tax sale. When it does, purchase it.

This is NOT an immediate sale but one in which you hold the property in lieu of payment and IF the owner pays the back taxes, they will also owe a percentage (usually 6 to 10 percent) to you.

GaAtty

GaAtty

If your father still has a life estate in the property then (according to the law in my state) he, as life tenant, is responsible for the taxes. Check your state law.

lpgp

Yes my father if responsible for the taxes and yes I could wait till the tax office forecloses. But, my dad is broke, he bums money off me all the time, and there is a line of people with more money than me waiting for the tax office to foreclose so they can out bid me and get it. That's why I'm trying to find out if I can file some kind of suit before hand using the funeral expenses to take the land. That's why I'm trying to stop the tax office from foreclosing. If they do I will surely lose it. I guess it's hopeless, but thanks guys anyway. I really appreciate your time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">