• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what does "in matter of" mean?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mobo22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine.

Hi, I'm filling out paperwork to change my last name with the county probate court (not sure if this is the right section) and it says I have to fill out two forms. One form for the petitioner, and one form that says "in matter of." What does "in matter of" mean? It's asking for a name, address, phone number, etc on the "in matter of" form too. Thanks.

anteater

A simple, basic explanation...

It indicates a case (the "case title") where there aren't contending parties or where the case is uncontested. So, rather than a case titled as Mobo22 v. Mobo23, it would be "In the matter of Mobo22" for something like a name change. You will often see "In re ..." also used.

latigo

A simple, basic explanation...

It indicates a case (the "case title") where there aren't contending parties or where the case is uncontested. So, rather than a case titled as Mobo22 v. Mobo23, it would be "In the matter of Mobo22" for something like a name change. You will often see "In re ..." also used.
Okay for basics, Arrdie, but how about as the noun appears in a lyric from the song “I am what I am” as sung in the “Commodore’s Betting Parlor” by actor Robin Williams in his role as the squinty-eyed “Popeye”?

“ I ain’t no fizzikist, but I know what matters.”

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">