• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kqueen105

What is the name of your state? Ohio
My father recently passed away and I need to know what to do. I have a unique situation:
He was my adoptive father, he divorced my adoptive mother when I was 7 and stopped being involved in my life when I was 9. When the obituary was posted in the local paper it was listed as him having 4 surviving sisters and 1 surviving brother. Nothing was even mentioned about a living daughter or even that he had a daughter. There was no visitation and no one has bothered to contact me to even tell me he passed. My mother's family saw the obit in the paper and called me. Do I have any rights to know the status of his estate or his belongings?What is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

What is the name of your state? Ohio
My father recently passed away and I need to know what to do. I have a unique situation:
He was my adoptive father, he divorced my adoptive mother when I was 7 and stopped being involved in my life when I was 9. When the obituary was posted in the local paper it was listed as him having 4 surviving sisters and 1 surviving brother. Nothing was even mentioned about a living daughter or even that he had a daughter. There was no visitation and no one has bothered to contact me to even tell me he passed. My mother's family saw the obit in the paper and called me. Do I have any rights to know the status of his estate or his belongings?What is the name of your state?
Yes. You drive to the probate court in the city where he died and ask for a copy of the file. Just like anyone else.

kqueen105

Yes. You drive to the probate court in the city where he died and ask for a copy of the file. Just like anyone else.
Hypothetically speaking. If there turns out to be no will and they open a probate estate will they be required to locate the next of kin? Or can his family continue to deny I exist? I guess my question is would it be possible for them to go thru all the legal stuff and never acknowledge me or contact me? Truthfully I could care less if there's anything for me, I just want to be acknowledged. I wouldn't even be questioning any of this if they would have included me in the mourning process to begin with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">