• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What are my rights being named in the will when my Mom has remarried?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michelleos69

My mom remarried six years ago but I know she made out a will leaving me her jewelry and maybe other family heirlooms from our side of the family. The problem is her current husband is secretive and distrustful and so I have not actually seen the paperwork. Do I have a right to claim anything else from my family side and to see the will? Can he sell anything before I see the will? Do I have any rights at all? We live in Wisconsin

FlyingRon

If she made a will the will applies to things in her estate until she changes it. You have no rights to see the will or anything PERIOD. If your mother won't tell you what her will says, that's entirely up to her.

michelleos69

What are my rights being named in the will when my Mom has remarried

My mom isn't being secretive, she has told me what things she has left to me in her estate with the bulk going to her current spouse. If I have no rights to seeing the will then why bother listing me and those things if I'll never know what else she is leaving me? He's not being very forthcoming. If he doesn't have to share the will with those in it then what's the point of having the will in the first place?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's it, she has told me. Now, she is confused because of the progression of the tumor.
I'm sorry, but you can't force her (or anyone else) to show you the will or other paperwork. Once she has passed, then you DO have the right to see the will. Does she have a trust?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">