• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What rights does new wife have?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

idontknowit

Texas -

My father-in-law passed away. A will was found dated 1995 which divided everything equally between his four children. However, he remarried eight months before passing. (His first wife passed away 12 years ago.) The new wife claims they were re-writing the will and has an unsigned copy which leaves everything to her.

Does the claim (presented in the unsigned new will) of the deceased intent by the new wife have any bearing?

Does re-marrying affect the existing will?

Is the new wife automatically entitled to any or part of his estate?

Is she entitled to his pension.

What action should his children take (either together or separate)?

BelizeBreeze

idontknowit said:
Texas -

My father-in-law passed away. A will was found dated 1995 which divided everything equally between his four children. However, he remarried eight months before passing. (His first wife passed away 12 years ago.) The new wife claims they were re-writing the will and has an unsigned copy which leaves everything to her.
This so-called will is invalid.
Does the claim (presented in the unsigned new will) of the deceased intent by the new wife have any bearing?
No.
It can. That's a question of law for the court.
See above.
See above.
Open Probate. File as executor.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

idontknowit said:
Texas -

MY RESPONSE: An unsigned Will doesn't mean squat. It's worthless.

MY RESPONSE: Yes. Because Texas is a Community Property State, it means that the new wife is entitled to share in that Estate, to be determined by the Probate judge.

MY RESPONSE: Yes. See above.

MY RESPONSE: Yes. See above.

MY RESPONSE: Either all, or one of you, should submit the 1995 Will into Probate.

IAAL

idontknowit

Follow-up

Texas:

Is there a general guide line which is used for determining the percentage due each party?

The only example I can give is: When the courts were determining how much child support I was to pay, there was a guide line (and I don't know if it was law or not) which I've heard applied to more than just my own case that said the possessory conservator had to pay 20% of their net, plus insurance for one child and 25% plus insurance for two. And although the parties could agree on something different, if they did not agree, then this is what the could would mandate.

Is there a guideline for probating a will also? And what is it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">