• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When Co-Executors Disagree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alanalbee

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Washington
My two siblings and I are the sole named beneficiaries in my mother's Will. My siblings are also the co-executors. The Will directs both co-executors to "act in concert"; if, for any reason, one of them fails to act as an Executor, the other is to act alone. As co-executor "A" has failed to respond to my written formal requests (sent via Certified Mail) for information and documents because of animosity toward me, may co-executor "B" act on his own? Even if "A" objects?

Dandy Don

The executor may not be responding to your requests because it is too soon for them to be answering your questions--it takes time to manage an estate and the executor may not yet have answers to the questions you are asking.

Executor B may not automatically act on his own--he needs to consult with executor A to ask executor A to write a letter declining to serve if executor a is not interested--although executor A probably is not willing to sign anything.

Executor B needs to find out right now if executor A is willing to start performing the DUTIES of a co-executor and then consult legal counsel if executor A is not willing to do anything.

You are foolish to have any contact with any executor who you know upfront dislikes you, as that will only antagonize them. Be smart and have no further contact with that executor unless they initiate it--get any information you need from Executor B.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">