• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

When there is property and assets, isn't a will required?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington
When my father passed away my sister and I were told by step mom there wasn't a will. My father was an attorney, I'm pretty sure he had some kind of instructions as to in the event of his death. I can't find anything via the county web site as to anything being filed. Nothing about probate either. How do I find out if there was anything filed, and in Washington state isn't probate a required part of the process?
Thanks

justalayman

a will is never required. All states have laws in place for dealing with estates that are intestate, which means there is no will.

How do I find out if there was anything filed
check the probate courts. It probate was opened, take a peek and see if there is a will in there.

and in Washington state isn't probate a required part of the process?
not necessarily and especially given he was an attorney, he would likely know how to avoid probate if he so desired.

a will is never required. All states have laws in place for dealing with estates that are intestate, which means there is no will.
Ok

check the probate courts. It probate was opened, take a peek and see if there is a will in there. Ok I will.

not necessarily and especially given he was an attorney, he would likely know how to avoid probate if he so desired.
Yes I thought this too.

Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">