• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who can I send a certified death certificate to?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Thomas7399

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

Hello!

My father-in-law recently passed away. He was separated from his wife, but the divorce was not final. My wife and I have copies of the death certificate. Is there any law preventing us from sending his separated wife a copy of the certified death certificate? It would be for insurance purposes.

Please advise.

Thanks!

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If you are talking about cancelling insurance that she may have on him through her employer, there not only is no law against sending her a copy, there is a great likelihood that you would be required to send a copy.

adjusterjack

Most places that want a death certificate want the certified copy not a photo copy.

You can send her a photo copy but don't be surprised if the comes back needing a certified copy.

Dandy Don

Give her the name and the address of the vital statistics/health department so she can order her own certified copy of the death certificate.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

Hello!

My father-in-law recently passed away. He was separated from his wife, but the divorce was not final. My wife and I have copies of the death certificate. Is there any law preventing us from sending his separated wife a copy of the certified death certificate? It would be for insurance purposes.

Please advise.

Thanks!
There is no law preventing you from sending a copy of, or even an original certified death certificate.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
In fact, you can send a certified copy of the death certificate to anyone you like. I can't imagine there is any law that limits to whom you can give them, and there are going to be numerous parties who need them.

And no, I am not talking about a photocopy. The word, Copy, does not necessarily signify a Xerox machine.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">