• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is entitled to the insurance money?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Rita7854

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Georgia

My brother was killed in a motorcyle accident where a woman was charged with a stop sign violation. He was not married, but he did have some children born out of wedlock. He had very little to nothing to do with these children and did not pay child support due to the fact that my brother only received SSI because he was disabled from a previous auto accident. However, DNA testing had proven him to be the father. The lady who was charged with the accident only had a $25,000.00 insurance policy. My parents have paid the funeral expenses, etc. My question is: Who is entitled to the $25,000.00? My parents or the illegitimate children?

BlondiePB

Rita7854 said:
What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?undefinedWhat is the name of your state? Georgia

My brother was killed in a motorcyle accident where a woman was charged with a stop sign violation. He was not married, but he did have some children born out of wedlock. He had very little to nothing to do with these children and did not pay child support due to the fact that my brother only received SSI because he was disabled from a previous auto accident. However, DNA testing had proven him to be the father. The lady who was charged with the accident only had a $25,000.00 insurance policy. My parents have paid the funeral expenses, etc. My question is: Who is entitled to the $25,000.00? My parents or the illegitimate children?
The estate of the deceased is entitled to the money and will be distributed according to your state's intestate (without will) statutes. Your parents can make a claim to the estate for the funeral. Someone needs to open a probate case and be appointed executor if this has not already been done.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">