• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who exactly is recognized as the next of kin?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Skatergirl

What is the name of your state? KY

My grandma died without a will. I understand that assets will be distributed to her children and grandchildren. Does this mean that great-grandchildren are figured into the next of kin as well? Does this "slice the pie" into as many equal pieces as there are kin?

What is the name of your state? KY

My grandma died without a will. I understand that assets will be distributed to her children and grandchildren. Does this mean that great-grandchildren are figured into the next of kin as well? Does this "slice the pie" into as many equal pieces as there are kin?

After searching the KY statutes on the state website, what do the statutes state for distribution of an estate intestate?

Betty

The estate (assets) left after expenses & debts are paid will be distributed per the intestate succession law of the state where grandma died. You can do a google search & get this information. I assume your grandma died in Ky - your state.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">