• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who has to do what??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gvenezia

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania My ex husband just passed away a week ago. Within 12 hours of his passing, his current girl friend dropped off his car, his possessions which amounted to a used TV and used laptop computer, and 2 bags of clothing at my house. His family (sisters/brother) had no contact with his girlfriend, and she only contacted me as I still am raising a minor child of his. He did leave a grown son, who unfortunately is homeless, and not competent to take care of himself let alone an estate. His cremation fell on me which I did only out of respect for my kids. He left no will, and because he never paid child support since he'd left, I'm broke and can't afford lawyers to help finalize all this mess. How do I get rid of his car and who has to do any filing of taxes, etc? We were married 24 years before our divorce, but I really don't want to get stuck cleaning up his mess with all of this too!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dandy Don

What is the car worth? Was he employed so that there is a possibility of him being eligible for a tax refund? Have you checked with his place of employment to see if perhaps he purchased a life insurance policy?

gvenezia

Car value per Kelley Blue Book if in fair condition: $2490, however it isn't in fair condition. Interior completely ruined - he lived in his car several time in the past 4 years. Checked with his most recent employer - no life insurance benefits, went back to his previous employer - he had left approx $390 in a stock fund listing me as the beneficiary, no life insurance benefit there. As far as tax liability, I'm betting he will owe, not be entitled to any refund. He cashed in his last 401K account early this year, and would owe any tax liability on that, which is why I don't want to get stuck holding onto anything that the IRS wants or needs to settle his account. He owed me $2700 in unreimbursed medical expenses for our daughter that he'd agreed to pay during the divorce, but I don't really expect to get that back! I have applied to get the stock money back, hoping to be able to apply it to the costs of his cremation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">