• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who pays the capital gains tax?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cabrio123

What is the name of your state? California

My mother passed away in 04/03. Her home had been transfered to her living trust, and I am the successor trustee. there was no probate. The trust designated that 1/4 share go to each of 3 sons, and the remaining 1/4 share be divided equally between 2 grandchildren.

The home remained in the name of the trust until it was sold in 7/05. There was a capital gain (Adjusted sales price > Adjusted basis).

My question is, who pays the capital gains tax? Should I file a 1041 as trustee and pay the tax on the capital gain, or should I distribute all of the proceeds from the sale, and let each beneficiary pay the tax? ie, did the trust realize the capital gain, or did the beneficiarys realize it indirectly through the trust?

Dandy Don

Have you completed any tax return for the trust at all? Of course the trust is responsible for this capital gains, and you need to be consulting with a CPA or tax accountant who has experience with estate tax returns.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

cabrio123

California

No returns filed. This is the only trust property, and therefore there has been no income until this sale.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">