• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who Pays Funeral Expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daddydune

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My question is who pays for funeral expenses when there is a surviving spouse?
Issue:
Mother dies, leaving a surviving spouse and a son (me). In her will I inherit everything she has power over. Surviving spouse is not mentioned. She excluded any future heirs to her estate including from marriage in the will. The will was created before this current marriage.
There's no cash in the estate just the house they lived in (joint tenancy) and a house she owned in her name only (from before the marriage) that I live in.
The will also ask funeral expenses be paid. The surviving spouse paid the funeral expenses after death and is now asking to be reimbursed.
Where in the civil, probate code could I find out if the estate has to pay these or is the surviving spouse responsible for them? How does a court look at it?
If there were no surviving spouse then it would come out of the estate but with a surviving spouse is it different?
Thanks so much for your help.

seniorjudge

The surviving spouse paid the funeral expenses after death and is now asking to be reimbursed.

That's correct; the money comes off the top of the estate. It is paid before anything else.

aanubis

The surviving spouse paid the funeral expenses after death and is now asking to be reimbursed.

That's correct; the money comes off the top of the estate. It is paid before anything else.
You are absolutely correct**************...although CA has some funky laws that many other states do not. It is common and expected for the estate to re-imburse as a priority and in the op's case, the surviving spouse can submit proof of payment for re-imbursement.

I think it's also possible for the surviving spouse to contest the will since it was written prior to the marriage. I have personal experience with this in IL at a small business I worked at. The will was written prior to the second wife, and she did get 1/2 of what he left, even though she wasn't named. Again, that was IL.

Dandy Don

What is going to happen with the home? Is it going to be sold or rented out?

If there is no cash in the estate, then unfortunately he can't be reimbursed for the funeral home.

But you truly need to be consulting with an attorney. Because the spouse almost certainly will have rights to a portion of the home. Your mother may have not known that she should have updated her will (after she got remarried) to include some type of bequest to her husband. Perhaps the husband is unaware of what he may be entitled to as a share of this estate, but your attorney can tell you. Whether he asserts his rights or not is up to him.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">