• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is responsible for estate of deceased father?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rjfink

What is the name of your state? Michigan

Two years ago, my father, who I was estranged from for nearly 3 years prior to, died. His then landlord is now threatening to sue us for storage and legal fees as of July 1 2005, of any property and belongings (the major one being a 1989, Ford Ranger Pickup Truck, that we have been told isn't worth anything and no longer runs) left at his place of residence before death. There was no will and no beneficiaries were listed. How can they after 2 years find us liable and responsible for it? What are our legal options? I am just tired of dealing with the harassing emails and phone calls from them about this. Please help!

Thank you

rjfink

anteater

rjfink said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan

Two years ago, my father, who I was estranged from for nearly 3 years prior to, died. His then landlord is now threatening to sue us for storage and legal fees as of July 1 2005, of any property and belongings (the major one being a 1989, Ford Ranger Pickup Truck, that we have been told isn't worth anything and no longer runs) left at his place of residence before death. There was no will and no beneficiaries were listed. How can they after 2 years find us liable and responsible for it? What are our legal options? I am just tired of dealing with the harassing emails and phone calls from them about this. Please help!

Assuming that no probate was opened and no administrator was appointed? And that you have no intention of opening probate or seeking to become administrator of the estate? And that you haven't made off with any assets that your father owned and have no intention of doing so?

Here's what I would do. Send a letter, certified with return receipt, making the following points. Season to your own taste.

1) Pound sand.

2) You are not the executor/administrator of your father's estate and have no personal liability for his debts.

3) If the landlord so desires, he can feel free to open probate and seek to be administrator of your father's estate. And, as a creditor, he can try to recover whatever he feels he is owed. You are willing to waive any right to be administrator of the estate and any possible inheritance due you.

4) Bite rocks.

5) Any further communication from him on this matter will result in you pursuing legal action against him.

6) Pound sand, again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">