• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who is Responsible for Uncle's Funeral Bill

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brainplow

Maine - My uncle passed on this morning after a lengthy illness. He had no will, no assets, no money in the bank and no life insurance.

My stepmother is trying to claim that the funeral home who will inter his remains is going to try to come after my father and remaining uncles for any funeral bills. My deceased uncle had 6 kids and has been estranged from them for years. My father and remaining uncles think it is his children who should be responsble for any funeral expenses, so my question is, can the funeral home come after my father and his brothers for these upcoming funeral expenses? Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Maine - My uncle passed on this morning after a lengthy illness. He had no will, no assets, no money in the bank and no life insurance.

My stepmother is trying to claim that the funeral home who will inter his remains is going to try to come after my father and remaining uncles for any funeral bills. My deceased uncle had 6 kids and has been estranged from them for years. My father and remaining uncles think it is his children who should be responsble for any funeral expenses, so my question is, can the funeral home come after my father and his brothers for these upcoming funeral expenses? Thanks!
Probably not - but did one of these people sign for and/or make arrangements for the funeral home?

JustAPal00

Who made the rangements? Seems to me if an indegent person dies, the state or county will have some form of burial at the tax payers expense. Probably no frills, pine box, that sort of thing!

BlondiePB

Who made the rangements? Seems to me if an indegent person dies, the state or county will have some form of burial at the tax payers expense. Probably no frills, pine box, that sort of thing!
Did the state/county make uncle's arrangements with the funeral home?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">