• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who's name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Anndarice

What is the name of your state? alabama

My father died without a will and there are 6 sisters and 1 brother. We don't want to put the house in one name. The house is paid off and the brother lives there and is disabled. Can we put the house in more than one name or can we put one name on the house and a stipulation that all siblings have to sign off on anything dealing with the house.

Last edited:

Anndarice

question revised

My father died. My brother, who is disabled, cared for my father and mother, before she died. My brother currently lives in a house that my father willed to 7 siblings. Right now the house is in my brother's name for tax purposes. We now have to put the deed in one of the siblings name. We can't decide who should get the house. Can a deed have two names (such as a brother and sister) or can we have one sibling on the deed and somehow stipulate that that sibling can't sell the property or financially do anything with it unless they have consent from the other siblings.

BelizeBreeze

Anndarice said:
My father died. My brother, who is disabled, cared for my father and mother, before she died. My brother currently lives in a house that my father willed to 7 siblings. Right now the house is in my brother's name for tax purposes. We now have to put the deed in one of the siblings name. We can't decide who should get the house. Can a deed have two names (such as a brother and sister) or can we have one sibling on the deed and somehow stipulate that that sibling can't sell the property or financially do anything with it unless they have consent from the other siblings.
Look at the bolded portions of your post then explain.

How did the house get in your brother's name?
Who is this "WE"?
Who's name(s) do you want on the deed?

Anndarice

The house isn't in my brother's name. The taxes are in his name. The house is still in my father's name. We (my sisters and brother) don't want a single sibling name on the deed. We want 2 names on the deed ( my brother and one sister).

BelizeBreeze

Anndarice said:
The house isn't in my brother's name. The taxes are in his name.
And that is why I bolded that part. You told a different story in your first post which would have meant a completely different answer.
The house is still in my father's name.
so probate has never been opened? why not?
We (my sisters and brother) don't want a single sibling name on the deed. We want 2 names on the deed ( my brother and one sister).
And why is that?

Answer these questions.

Dandy Don

What you want doesn't really matter legally. Probate is needed to get the title in the names of ALL legal heirs/all siblings, and then if you all later want to quitclaim your portion to just one sibling, there is a form you all can sign to do that, but I hope you realize that by doing so you may be giving up your right to future income IF the home is sold.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">