• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will never completed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snotiger57

What is the name of your state?Michigan
In 1988 my grandmother passed leaving a will. My mother was left the house and contents. The attorney that she went to made her personal rep. and to make a long story short never turned the property over into her name. My mother also owed this attorney 245.50 the last billing that I found was in 1994. My mother passed away in 3/2004, that is when all this was discovered. She left no will. There are 3 siblings. At the end of 3/2004 I found these papers and called the attorney to find out why the property was still in my grandmothers name and never changed to my mothers, I also told him the my mother has passed. He said he would have to get the file and call me back. After several months of me calling and never speaking to anyone except the law clerk finally in July I received a letter showing that he had sent letters to my sibling asking them to maked me personal rep.. Prior to that I had received a letter asking for all our address'. My sister returned hers my brother didn't. In Decemeber I had to go to probate court, this is the first time I had set eyes on this attorney and only the 3rd time of speaking directly to him. Since I was the only one to show up the Judge made me personal rep.. The attorney told me that he had paid the 150.00 to probate and I asked him there in the hall if he wanted my share, he said no. At this point in time he had never discussed any fees or had me sign any papers with him. In January he sent a copy of letter that he had sent to my brother offering him the buy out that we discussed 12/06/2004. I also received a contract stating that he wanted a 1500.00 retainer, and was charging 200.00 an hour plus expenses. I did not respond to the contract not knowing what to do. Then in March 2005 I received a letter for the attorney stating that my brother had just called the office to accept the offer. However before this matter could be taken care of I needed to pay him 150.00 to open my grandmothers case. Then we could address the estate of my mother. Why should I be responsible for something that should of been taken care of when my grandmother passed. Should he be held accountable for not finishing his job. Do I have to keep him as an attorney. I realize that I owe him something for what little he has done, but I also didn't ask him to he just sort of took the ball and ran with it. What rights do I have and where should I go from here. :confused:

snotiger57

The attonery is not really hired there is no binding contract of anyform that i have agreed to or signed.

thank you

BlondiePB

snotiger57 said:
The attonery is not really hired there is no binding contract of anyform that i have agreed to or signed.

thank you
The attorney could be finishing the other probate case that he was hired to do. Send a CCR letter dismissing him/her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">