• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will or No Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EvilSiblings

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have just found out that my mother passed away a month ago. The Power of Attorney is my brother. I expect no honesty from this person, but at some point, we will meet in court, I suspect.
I called the Surrogate Court, but there is no will on file.

I now wonder if all accounts were liquidated, and my question is how to find out what happened with the assets.

My mother had suffered from Alzheimer's for many years and PoA was signed to my brother when she was clearly demented.

Any advice you can give to get me started on a very distasteful enterprise would be much appreciated.
Thank you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

I have just found out that my mother passed away a month ago. The Power of Attorney is my brother. I expect no honesty from this person, but at some point, we will meet in court, I suspect.
I called the Surrogate Court, but there is no will on file.

I now wonder if all accounts were liquidated, and my question is how to find out what happened with the assets.

My mother had suffered from Alzheimer's for many years and PoA was signed to my brother when she was clearly demented.

Any advice you can give to get me started on a very distasteful enterprise would be much appreciated.
Thank you.
How would you know what condition she was in if you just found out that she has been a dead a month? And there may not have been a will. There may have been no assets if your mother was ill for a long time.

anteater

The Power of Attorney is my brother.
Not any longer after your Mother's death.

You can file to open open probate and ask that the court appoint you as the probate estate's administrator.

EvilSiblings

How would you know what condition she was in if you just found out that she has been a dead a month? And there may not have been a will. There may have been no assets if your mother was ill for a long time.
She was in treatment for years for diagnosed Alzheimer's. Her behavior indicated that for at least the past 10 years and her diagnosis goes back that far as well.

Assets? Probably between 5 and 10 million dollars.

She had a CD in my name that my brother liquidated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">