• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will Not Updated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shy2

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My parents have a will that they did over 30 years ago and have not updated. The executors of the estate in the will are myself and an ex-husband, whom I've not been married to in 24 years. My mother insist that the will is still good but I'm worried about my ex being listed as an executor. I feel my parents should have the will updated but my mother refuses. She does not believe my ex will enter into the situation when my parents are gone. Is it possible that my ex will need to be involved in the probate?

Thanks for you response. My parents are in their mid 80's and 70's and I'm going to need to deal with this probably sooner than I'd like.

Last edited:

lwpat

While it is liley that your ex-husband will waive any of his rights you are correct to assume that their could be serious problems with the will. You need to consult with an elder care attorney immediately since there are many other issues you need to address ASAP.

Force the issue since it will be much better on everyone to have their affairs in order. It doesn't matter, insist! You are the one who is going to have the burden so they need to consider the effect on you. It is common for them to avoid the issue so make an appointment for yourself and get some advice.

Then take them for a ride and stop at the attorney's office and don't leave until you have the paperwork signed.

Dandy Don

Also mention that it's better to have one person making decisions than 2 people who don't get along, so it's best for her to choose only one executor which hopefully will be you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">