• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will/ Probate court/ questions/ help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hunter

What is the name of your state? ID

Case is in MI

My grandmother and grandfather recently passed away. Their only children are my Aunt and my mother(deceased). We were told that there were CD's and other items in the will for us. Since my grandmothers latest death, my Aunt has disconected herself from me, my sister and my granmothers sister. She will not return phone calls, seems to screens calls and will not address anything. She had her daughter repsond to me and my sister about probate court and other irrelevant issues. She stated that it was done in probate court. She also went on to say that we both make too much money and don't need any. which is irrelevant when distributing a will. The whole thing was very shady. Can they hide distribution? I have called probate courts in both counties that they resided in and there is no record. So from the looks of it we were lied to on the probate proceedings. If the will was not processed through probate court, how do we gain access to the will without knowing the attorney's name who drafted it? Are there laws in place that require the executor to follow through on the deceased's wishes?

We are not sure what can be done at this point. We both live 1000+ miles away. Help?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

Dandy Don

Hire a probate attorney in the same city where the death occurred so that you can get probate opened. Auntie probably had power of attorney and may have cashed in the CD's before the death occurred. Attorney can ask judge to have auntie produce the will for court, but your attorney will first need to determine if there are any assets left and will need to check and see if that state has laws against abuse of POA, which may be what auntie may be guilty of and she may have to pay back the estate for monies which she took if she did not use them for her relatives' living expenses. If she used the POA to cash in the CD's by submitting a beneficiary designation form that shows her or someone else as beneficiary, then that was illegal.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">