• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will, unsigned due to untimely death of person

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Grandpappy53

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

My mother-in-law died last year. She had requested that I assemble a will, with all of her wishes listed. I used a legal program to assemble this will.
Once I had completed the will my wife, her daughter, showed her the will. My mother-in-law suggested some minor changes. I made the changes and printed the new will. When my wife took the will to the nursing home for my mother-in-law to read, and sign, she found her asleep in her bed. Within 30 minutes of my wife's arrival the nurse, who was responsible for my mother-in-law's care, came to my wife and informed her that her mother had expired.
My wife and her two sisters were/are aware of their mother's wishes, as noted in the will. My mother-in-law had my wife do all of her bill payments, etc. for the last 13 years of her life. The entire estate, after the cost of the burial, etc. is only worth some $800.00. These funds are presently in a checking account that is under the name's of both my father-in-law (deceased) and my mother-in-law.
What steps should my wife follow at this time. She is presently filing the income taxes for 2004, she had no earned income or interest income.
Any help would be appreciated.

Dandy Don

The will can not be used in probate court since it is not signed, but probate is not needed anyway. The checking account money is payable directly to the account co-owner.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">