• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

1st offense Grand Larceny charge...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1st_time_mom

What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am a 22 yr old college student. i am worried because my boyfriend and father of my 2 month old son was caught stealing in Macy's. He's never done anything like this before and doesn't have a record. He was under pressure to provide for us for christmas since I couldnt work, go to school and deal with a newborn this semester. He told me the merchandise was valued at around $300 which in virginia is grand larceny. We are extremely stressed because we know this can carry a jail/prison sentence. He is the pri**** supporter of our family and if he is convicted my son and I will have no where to go and I couldn't finish school. Also we are worried about his future becasue he's graduating with a BA in Accounting and we know something like this can ruin his chances for a career. We are wondering if he could be given probation or community service. And if so is there anyway this can be cleared from his record?

snostar

He should of thought of the consequences prior to playing Santa. Grand larceny is an unclassified felony with a specific punishment assigned by the code section of not less than one year in prison but not more than twenty or in the discretion of a jury or judge trying the case, a jail sentence of not more than 12 months and/or a fine not to exceed $2,500. He needs to hire an attorney, or one will be appointed to him if he qualifies. He may be offerred a plea.

seniorjudge

1st_time_mom said:
What is the name of your state? Virginia

I am a 22 yr old college student. i am worried because my boyfriend and father of my 2 month old son was caught stealing in Macy's. He's never done anything like this before and doesn't have a record. He was under pressure to provide for us for christmas since I couldnt work, go to school and deal with a newborn this semester. He told me the merchandise was valued at around $300 which in virginia is grand larceny. We are extremely stressed because we know this can carry a jail/prison sentence. He is the pri**** supporter of our family and if he is convicted my son and I will have no where to go and I couldn't finish school. Also we are worried about his future becasue he's graduating with a BA in Accounting and we know something like this can ruin his chances for a career. We are wondering if he could be given probation or community service. And if so is there anyway this can be cleared from his record?
How many times has he been caught stealing?

1st_time_mom

He has never stolen a thing in his life. He's never done anything to break the law other than one speeding ticket and maybe a parking ticket. And I don't think those are on his record.

seniorjudge

1st_time_mom said:
He has never stolen a thing in his life. He's never done anything to break the law other than one speeding ticket and maybe a parking ticket. And I don't think those are on his record.
How long have you know him?

It is exceptionally odd for a 22 year old male to suddenly develop urges to steal.

He is either not telling you the truth about his past OR he is suffering from mental illness.

1st_time_mom

I've known him for a couple years. I know his parents and siblings and friends pretty well. I did a background and criminal check on him before (he didn't give me reason I do it for people im involved with) because I know all that glitters isn't gold. I honestly think its just the pressure he was under since the pregnancy. He is providing for my son and I (rent, bills, etc.) while carrying a full load of classes to keep up with his May graduation. And this is all on work study wages from two campus jobs. He is very credible from what I have seen and from what others can say about him.

jkrobin

Pennsylvania
Not being mean to you I did the same thing that your boyfriend did but I have 38 chrges and that was 6 years ago so I would think the worst that could happen. Yes it was my first offense and I got 2 years probaition, commuitty service,fines, rest. my fines and rest was over 2,000 and I only took 9oo.
I know here in Pa. I was able to get the ARD program. So get a lawyer and start getting things in order so if he gose to jail you are ready.
I still have a hard time getting a job, my case is closed and Dismissed.
Ps. I did it to feed my 2 kids and my husband was out of work, that not a reason to steal eaither.

Starting_Over

Same Situation Problem In A Way.

I'm having a problem with the same charges in a way. When I was 19 my father broke into a house and stole 47,000 dollars worth of stuff. Well when he was caught he told the cops it was me, but all I did was dropped him off at the house. (He told me a friend of his lived there and that he was visiting him.) This happened in VA, A month after he had done this me and my fiance had moved to SC at the time. Well when he told the cops that it was me, 6 bounty hunter came to my house, tazzed me, and locked me up for something I didn't do. I spend 17 months locked up for this B.S. They said that I was being charged with burglary (Day dwelling With the intent to commit larceny) & Grand Larceny. Well My Final Court Case came up and the Burglary got dropped to unlawful entry, and the grand larceny was dropped to a non prossi. Now What is happening now is my new fiance and I were watching her parents house while they were out of town, and on one of the days we were there when we left she left the door unlocked while we were gone. we were gone for about 6-8 hours. Now we didn't know but someone went into the house while we were gone and stole alot of jewelry and other small miscellaneous items. we didn't notice that anything was gone because we couldn't tell. Well her parents came back and noticed the stuff missing out of were it belongs, and is trying to blame me for the stuff missing. Now if I ended up being charge with yet another grand larceny and burglary charge for something that I didn't do, exactly how much time will I have to serve for this?

Antigone*

I'm having a problem with the same charges in a way. When I was 19 my father broke into a house and stole 47,000 dollars worth of stuff. Well when he was caught he told the cops it was me, but all I did was dropped him off at the house. (He told me a friend of his lived there and that he was visiting him.) This happened in VA, A month after he had done this me and my fiance had moved to SC at the time. Well when he told the cops that it was me, 6 bounty hunter came to my house, tazzed me, and locked me up for something I didn't do. I spend 17 months locked up for this B.S. They said that I was being charged with burglary (Day dwelling With the intent to commit larceny) & Grand Larceny. Well My Final Court Case came up and the Burglary got dropped to unlawful entry, and the grand larceny was dropped to a non prossi. Now What is happening now is my new fiance and I were watching her parents house while they were out of town, and on one of the days we were there when we left she left the door unlocked while we were gone. we were gone for about 6-8 hours. Now we didn't know but someone went into the house while we were gone and stole alot of jewelry and other small miscellaneous items. we didn't notice that anything was gone because we couldn't tell. Well her parents came back and noticed the stuff missing out of were it belongs, and is trying to blame me for the stuff missing. Now if I ended up being charge with yet another grand larceny and burglary charge for something that I didn't do, exactly how much time will I have to serve for this?
Please don't post to a five-year old thread. Please start your own.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">